Field: Physical chemistry
Mar 2008 Ph.D (European Ph.D in Materials Science and Technology) – Supervisors: Prof. E. Garrone, Prof. B. Onida, Department of Applied Science and Technology, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Oct 2004 M.S. (Chemical Engineering, Summa cum Laude), Politecnico di Torino, Italy
May 2016- present Associate Professor (02/B1, FIS03), Dept. of Applied Science and Technology, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
June 2021 – present Co-funder of the Start-up U-Care Medical
Jan 2016- May 2016 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Applied Science and Technology, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Aug 2010 – Dec 2015 Senior Post-doc, Center for Space Human Robotics, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), Turin, Italy
Jan 2008 – Jul 2010 Post-Doc, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Munich, Germany
Feb 2008 – Jul 2010 Scientific Consultant, Nanoscape AG, Munich, Germany
Apr 2006 – Jul 2010 Scientific Consultant , Cook Medical INC. Bloomington, USA
Nov 2004 Internship, Rüsch France S.A.R.I., Strasbourg, France
Current Research Interests
Valentina Cauda leads a research group of 20 people (including 5 post-docs, 6 PhDs and 9 Master students) at DISAT- Politecnico di Torino.The main research topic is about theranostic nanomaterials, from wet chemical synthesis, chemical functionalization and physical-chemical characterization of metal oxide nanomaterials to drug delivery, stimuli-responsive activation, tumor cell targeting, and bio-imaging. Materials like zinc oxide, mesoporous silica, titania and metal (gold, silver) nanostructures are investigated. The laboratory also is expert in the extraction of extracellular vesicles and their re-engineering for advanced drug delivery and nanoimaging vehicles. More info at the web-site: www.tnhlab.polito.it/. Recently Valentina has also established a Start-up, U-Care Medical, to study, monitor and predict the insurgence of acute kidney injury (AKI) in critically hill patients. More info at: http://u-caremedical.com/
124 papers in ISI peer-reviewed journals + 3 edited book + 11 book chapters + 28 conference proceedings
26 papers as first-author + 52 papers as corresponding author
H-index: 38 (Source: Scopus)
4825 total citations by 3818 documents (1st December 2021, source: Scopus)
67 articles in journals with impact factor (IF) > 5 (Adv. Mater., Nano Lett., JACS, Nano Energy, Chem. Mater, J. Mater. Chem., Nanoresearch, ACS Appl. Mater. Interf, Chem. Eng. J., Nano-Micro Lett.,.….)
Average citation per article: 38.5
2. Sonosensitizing agent and its method of activation” (Original title:“Agente sonosensibilizzante e suo metodo di attivazione”) Italian Patent N. IT102018000009966 of 31th Oct. 2018, PCT: WO2021181132 Inventors: V. Cauda, G. Cicero, G. Canavese, T. Limongi, N. Garino, L. Racca, A. Ancona, B. Dumontel, M. Canta, L. Serpe, R. Canaparo, F. Foglietta, A. Francovich, G. Durando, filed with research report.
3. “A biomimetic nanoporous carrier comprising an inhibitor directed towards the native form of IDH2 protein” (Original title: “Vettore nanoporoso biomimetico comprendente un inibitore diretto verso la forma nativa della proteina IDH2” Italian Patent N. IT102019000001009 of 23rd January 2019, PCT: WO2020152559 of 30th July 2020. Inventors: V. Cauda, T. Limongi, L. Racca, M. Canta, F. Susa, R. Piva, E. Bergaggio, N. Vitale, E. Mereu, filed with research report
4. A monitoring and prediction system of diuresis for the calculation of kidney failure risk, and the method thereof” (Original title: “Sistema di monitoraggio e previsione della diuresi per il calcolo del rischio di insufficienza renale, e relativo metodo”) Italian Patent N. IT102019000001365 of 30th January 2019, PCT:WO2020157557of 21st Nov 2019, China: CN 113383396 A. of 10th September 2021. Inventors: A. Ancona, V. Cauda, E. Manti, filed with research report
5. “A sonoluminescence contrast imaging method and apparatus assisted by nanoparticles in the biomedical field, in particular in the oncological field” (Original title:”Metodo ed apparato per immagine di contrasto in sonoluminescenza assistita da nanoparticelle in ambito medico diagnostico, in particolare oncologico”) Italian Patent Application N. IT102021000005123 of 8th March 2021, Inventors: V. Cauda, V. Vighetto, M. Carofiglio, A. Ancona, filed with research report
6. “Metodo per l’ottenimento di popolazioni concentrate di vescicole extracellulari lavate del loro carico fisiopatologico” ” Italian Patent Application N. IT 102021000027725 of 29th October 2021, Inventors: T. Limongi, F. Susa, R. Pisano V. Cauda, pending evaluation.
7. “Current effective delivered dose monitoring for continuous renal replacement therapy” (Original title: “Metodo per acquisire campioni biologici liquidi da un circuito extracorporeo per un trattamento di purificazione ematica extracorporea e relativi apparato e sistema”) Italian Patent Application N. IT102021000032621of 24th December 2021, Inventors: V Cauda, A. Ancona, G. Villa, S. Romagnoli, Z. Ricci, pending evaluation.
Awards and Prizes
Jan 2021 Best Paper Award - Nanometerials 2020 (MDPI), received from the journal Nanomaterials-MDPI for the publication H. Engelke, V. Cauda et al. Nanomaterials 2018, 8(3), 143; https://doi.org /10.3390/nano8030143
Dec 2020 CeNS Publication Award 2020 - Center for NanoScience (CeNS), University of Munich, Germany
for the publication: E. Ploetz, A. Zimpel, V. Cauda, D. Bauer, D. C. Lamb, C. Haisch, S. Zahler, A. M. Vollmar, S. Wuttke and H. Engelke Advanced Materials, 10.1002/adma.201907267 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201907267
Dec 2020 Winner at national prize for innovation “Premio Nazionale Innovazione” (PNI) in the field of Life Science for the entrepreneurial and business idea U-Care Medical https://en.pnicube.it/ivincitori The prize was awarded by the President of the Italian Republic, Sergio Mattarella - https://cotec.it/premio-dei-premi-2020/
Oct 2020 Winner at Start Cup Piemonte e Valle d’Aosta for the entrepreneurial and business idea U-Care Medical https://startcup.i3p.it/editions/zoom/19
Jun 2020 Best Review Paper Award – Coatings 2019, received from the journal Coatings-MDPI for the publication: “Porous Zinc Oxide Thin Films: Synthesis Approaches and Applications”, M. Laurenti, V. Cauda, Coatings 2018, 8(2), 67; https://www.mdpi.com/2079-6412/8/2/67
Feb 2019 Certificate of Recognition from Conference Series, from the Editors of J. Biotechnology & Biomaterials, and J. Tissue Science and Engineering for the Keynote presentation at 4th Annual Conference and Expo on Biomaterials, Feb 25-26th 2019, London (UK).
Nov 2018 Best Poster Award at the Merck and Elsevier Young Chemists Symposium (MEYCS 2018) for the poster B. Dumontel, M. Canta, F. Susa, L. Racca, A. Ancona, N. Garino, T. Limongi, A. Chiodoni, V. Cauda “Enhanced biostability and biocompatibility of zinc oxide nanocrystals shielded by a phospholipid bilayer”.Apr 2018 One among 5 Best Italian Technologies selected by Netval® and presented at Biovaria 2018, 25-26th April 2018, Munich (Germany) referred to Patent WO2019092550 “Biomimetic Non-Immunogenic Nanoassembly for the Antitumor Therapy”,
Nov 2017 USERN Prize 2017 in Biological Science (USERN: Universal Scientific Education and Research Netwros), an international award to top young scientist in the world under 40 years old for the novel advancement in the field of biology
Oct 2016 Best Poster Award at the Merck Young Chemists Symposium (MYCS 2016) for the poster L. Racca, B. Dumontel, B. Miccoli, M. Canta, L. Serpe, R. Canaparo, C. Di Benedetto, A. Falqui, V. Cauda, “Investigation of cytotoxic effects of different ZnO nanostructures on living cancer cells”
Jun 2016 Top-10 Papers published in 2015 of the Italian Chemical Society under-35 for the publication: M. Laurenti, G. Canavese, A. Sacco, M. Fontana, K. Bejtka, M. Castellino, F. C. Pirri, V. Cauda “Nanobranched ZnO Structure: p-Type Doping Induces Piezoelectric Voltage Generation and Ferroelectric-Photovoltaic Effect” ADVANCED MATERIALS, 2015, vol. 27, pp. 4218–4223
Oct 2015 Prize Zonta Area 03 Distretto 30 from Zonta International – Scientific Area: Chemical Sciences
May 2015 Best Paper Award at the 38th International Spring Seminar on Electronics Technology (ISSE 2015) for the publication: B. Miccoli, A. Bonanno, V. Cauda, A. Sanginario, D. Demarchi “Interface of a Single ZnO-Nanowire Assembled onto Custom-Fabricated Nanogap Device for UV Sensing Applications”, Eger (Hungary), 6-10 May 2015, pp. 431-435, doi: 10.1109/ISSE.2015.7248035.
Mar 2013 Prize “Giovedì Scienza” 2013- 2nd Edition- Young researchers under 35
Apr 2010 Publication Award 2010 – Center for NanoScience (CeNS), University of Munich, Germany
for the publication: A. Sauer, A. Schlossbauer, N. Ruthardt, V. Cauda, T. Bein, C. Bräuchle NANO LETTERS, 2010, vol. 10, issue 9, pp 3684-3691.
Dec 2010 Prize “Dr. Klaus Römer Stiftung” Best Post-Doc 2010 - Departments of Chemistry and of Biochemistry, University of Munich, Germany
Most important Research Grants
2021 PRIN 2020 – Italian Minister of University and Research (MUR), project title “MiTHoS -Multimodal Innovative THeranostic nanoSystem” Project N.2020MHL8S9, Role: Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator (dedicated budget: 150.000 euro), Duration: 36 months, Mar 2022 - Feb 2025
2020 FET OPEN RIA Horizon 2020 Project title: “MIMIC-KeY - A key to the rational design of extracellular vesicles-mimicking nanoparticles”, Project N. 964386, Role: Project Coordinator (dedicated budget: 528’987 euro), Duration: 48 months, June 2021-May 2025.
2020 ERC Proof-of-Concept call 2020 Project title: “XtraUS -Fighting cancer relapse with remote activation of smart and and targeted targeted targeted targeted nanoconstructs”, Project N. 957563, Budget: 150’000 Euro, Role: Principal Investigator, Duration: 60 months, March 2021 – Aug 2022
2019 Marie Skłodowska Curie Action - European Fellowship, Project title “MINT - Multifunctional Immunocompatible NanoTheranostics to modulate tumor microenvironment and improve treatment monitoring: A double blow to pancreatic cancer”, N. 842964 –, Budget: 183’473.28 Euro, Role: Coordinator/Supervisor,Duration: 24 months, Sep 2019- Aug 2021.
2017 COST ACTION “ENIUS” (European Network of multidisciplinary research to improve the Urinary Stents), CA16217, Role: MC Member, duration 48 months, July 2017 – June 2019
2015 ERC Starting Grant call 2015, Project title: “TROJANANOHORSE - Hybrid immune-eluding nanocrystals as smart and active theranostic weapons against cancer”, Project N. 678151, , Role: Principal Investigator, Duration: 60 months, Mar 2016 – Feb 2021